I am The Shai.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

By God, We All Learn...

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn; my God, do you learn!"
(Clive Staples Lewis)

Indeed, we learn from our experiences. No matter how tough, no matter how brutal.For if we brood over spilled milk for too long, we'll never pick ourselves up again.

It was a nerve-wracking experience hosting Piala Khatulistiwa, the dikir barat competition organised by the Ngee Ann Polytechnic Malay Cultural Club.

Despite this being my 3rd hosting stint with Hazzie, it was the first time we were doing it in Malay. (Well, she has her Ria 89.7 and TGIF experience to help her)

It was my first time hosting a real event in Malay.

It was my first time hosting a competition.

It was a full-house attendance, surpassing everyone's expectations.
Thankfully, Amin was a great help, telling us what kind of crowds dikir barat competition usually attract. I've only hosted events which have been very formal and again, they've all been in English, so, my spontaneity in Malay was and still is a serious lack thereof.
And it certainly did not help that I was feeling stressed for most parts of the first half of the event.
Hosting the event has made it very clear to me that I should really stick to hosting in particularly, English.
Oh, somehow, I'm not surprised if my performance, were to draw flak and criticism.
Hosts are like sacrificial lambs, in a way, always the first ones to draw crossfire.
And it's different being on stage and being in the audience. What goes around comes around huh?

Nonetheless, I thank the Malay Cultural Club for the opportunity for every endeavour we embark upon is truly a learning experience.

Save for minor faults, the event was smooth running and the response at the end, I believe, was unanimous. A success.

So, syabas I say to the organising committee and everyone who helped out with the event.

And as for me, I'll try to redeem myself with my next hosting stint in two weeks time.

5 Comments:

Blogger em said...

gosh hosting in malay is like damn cool. if only i were there to cheer u on ;) rawk on! huggs. miss ya

Sunday, May 29, 2005

 
Blogger Snow said...

u were great shaiful..! relax.. although u were a bit nervous at speaking malay but overall, it was nice!!

Sunday, May 29, 2005

 
Blogger Lecter said...

emma,
thanks for the support. Hehe.
Perhaps, you might be interested in watching my school's concert band perform on 11th June?
I might be hosting that one.

s_angel,
thank you yah. I didn't see you in the audience though...hehe...

Sunday, May 29, 2005

 
Blogger LovelyLolla said...

Hies! I was at Khatu, nah ur hosting's quite okay tho u seem a lil reserved. But all in all, da event rocks!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

 
Blogger Lecter said...

lovelylolla,

that's lovely of you...hehe...
seems you did a search on piala khatulistiwa as well aye?

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker